Adventures in Babysitting

Stories from the Olson family

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Birthday to Jason

Four years ago my life changed drastically, amazingly, and forever. Nothing will ever be the same. I look at every situation through Mommy Glasses.

Jason, you have brought me joy I never knew I could experience, stretch marks, laughter deeper than ever reached, more knowledge about superheroes and their powers than I ever cared to know, lots of grey hair, a deeper appreciation for my own mother and father, but more than ever, you have given me more love in these seemingly 4 short years than I ever thought my heart could hold. You are beautiful, smart, loving, generous, tall, handsome, intelligent, and funny. You are everything I ever wished for when I dreamed of you years and years ago.

Today we sat in a theatre and watched Toy Story 3, (which, by the way, wasn't the best of ideas given today my baby turned 4). 5 years ago the story of a boy outgrowing his toys would have been just that, a story, but today, it strikes so many more cords, emotional ones at that. Jason can buckle himself into his car seat by himself, he insists on pouring his own syrup on his waffles, he picks out his own clothes (he has his father's awesome sense of style). Never again will he be tiny enought to fit into my arms, or need me to provide his every bit of nourishment. My life is way harder, things take way longer (simple things. things that should take seconds, take HOURS), I have no money, my hips, boobs, and thighs will never be the same; I love you so much it sometimes hurts, but I wouldn't trade the experience of being your mother for anything.

Sitting in a west Texas mexican restaurant last week, our last night of vacation, Trav and Jason sitting across from me, Maddie sitting next to me quietly crushing her tortilla chips, I realized I have been given everything I could ever want, and I've achieved a level of happiness many people will never know. Not just joy, but complete contentment, how could I ever ask The Good Lord for anything more? I have so much and I'm so greatful.

1 comment:

  1. Your post gave me goose pimples. Just thought I'd let you know that. I know it's hard to watch your kids grow. Especially the eldest one. I loved reading your thoughts on motherhood. You really are an extraordinary woman!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a word or two (or maybe 15 or 28)!